Monday, April 30, 2012

Asystole followed by ventricular fibrillation?

This post does not directly continue the previous post (I'll get to that later). This a question that relates to my 2008 publication:

Stewart JA. The prohibition on shocking apparent asystole: a history and critique of the argument.

Am J Emerg Med. 2008 ;26(5):618-22.

However, it is an idea/question that I did not raise in that article. Asystole changing to ventricular fibrillation (VF) is occasionally documented in the literature (Example: Meaney PA. Rhythms and outcomes of adult in-hospital cardiac arrest. Crit Care Med. 2010; 38(1): 101-8)), but I have never seen a hypothesis for the mechanism of such a metamorphosis. I am no cardiologist, much less an electrophysiologist, but my limited understanding of cardiac electrophysiology makes me wonder how electrical silence could spontaneously morph into frenetic (disorganized) electrical activity. I get that automaticity of cardiac cells can begin to generate a ventricular rhythm, but VF? It seems more plausible to me that a moving VF vector might produce the appearance of asystole followed by VF in a single monitoring lead. This of course is relevant to the hypothesis that VF may have a vector. Maybe it is more than a hypothesis: documented cases of "occult" VF seem to be strong evidence that VF can have a vector, though the frequency of the phenomenon is unknown (see my article referenced above). 

No comments: