Sunday, February 27, 2005

Does ACLS work?

I'll have a fair amount to say about my experience of the Guidelines 2005 process later., but for now I'll just note that the only reference I saw to the Stiell et al. study (mentioned below) in the evidence-evaluation worksheets posted on the web was in the worksheet on BVM ventilation. My comment on the validity of this reference can be seen here (comment number 3). As far as I know, the Stiell study received no further attention in the Guidelines 2005 evidence evaluation process. This may be a prime example of not being able to see the forest for the trees. Many very specific worksheet topics were addressed, with the frequent conclusion that insufficient evidence exists to change the existing recommendations. This begs the question of the value of the existing recommendations, which by and large are based on extremely flimsy evidence--or none at all. The Stiell study raises the very real possibility that none of this ACLS stuff makes any difference whatsoever in improving survival.

No comments: